Huge investments for Mont Blanc Tunnel & Chamonix road networkATMB invests on and off road
The ATMB (Autoroutes et tunnel du Mont-Blanc) who manage the major roads and tunnels of Chamonix have presented their investment plans for 2012 which will involve major security developments to the Mont Blanc tunnel and improvements to the roads leading up to Chamonix.
Chamonix road network 48 million € investment
The huge investment plan covers a wide area, from Bellegarde to Courmayeur, but nevertheless a large number of improvements will have a positive effect on access to Chamonix.
- Improved anti fire system for the Mont Blanc tunnel - €1.7m
- New emergency response vehicles for the Mont Blanc tunnel - €400k
- Enlargement of the access ramp to the Mont Blanc tunnel to reduce queues - €1m
- 14 new break-down areas on the Autoroute Blanche - €1.25m
- 20 new traffic cameras installed over 130 km of motorway - €0.5m
- New rock shields on the exposed face next to the RN205 - €2.3m
- Renovation of 24k'sm of road-surface on the Autoroute Blanche €6.6m
- Investment into the Chamonix train renovations €1.5m
- New Gazex avalanche blaster above French tunnel entrance €0.5m
- Pedestrian bridge for easy access to the Bossons glacier €225k
The road works will, at certain times of the year, effect traffic - you can keep check on traffic information here.
The RN 205 in the direction Servoz > Passy will be closed from the 24th April - 17th June and from 3rd September - 28th October for the construction of the concrete rock shields. Traffic in both directions will be directed to the Egratz viaduct where there will be a reduced speed limit of 50km/h.