The Refuge du Gouter mountain hut situated at 3835 metres is one of the most popular starting points for climbers attempting to summit Mont Blanc. It is the highest guarded mountain refuge in France.
Two years of work and 6 million Euros has gone into creating the new Gouter hut which is set to be a pioneering mountain hut, not just in terms of its architecture but also in its approach to energy sustainability and the environment.
The new Refuge du Gouter is able to accommodate 120 alpinists who will benefit from solar and wind powered electricity, triple glazing, recycled water, and many other eco-friendly features.
This is a modern hut both in terms of its approach and design and is utterly in line with other global initiatives to encourage mountain lovers to think responsibly and limit their environmental impact wherever possible.
The refuge offers half-board, B&B or bed only accommodation; there is a picnic room for those who have brought their own food but there is no access to cooking facilities. Vegetarian meals can be provided on request but please let them know in advance of your arrival.
The refuge is open and staffed from mid-May to end of September, depending on weather conditions. Out of season, the refuge is unstaffed but beds, blankets are dishes are made available for 20 people.
Please contact the refuge directly for this season's prices and opening/closing dates.
- Open Seasons
- Chamonix brewery at World Beer Awards 2019
- Latest gear - Mountain running equipment 2019
- Where to watch the Perseids 2019 in Chamonix
- 10 reasons Chamonix is the ultimate 2020 luxury ski destination
- What's on in Chamonix August 2019
- What's on in Chamonix July 2019
- Art Exhibition at La Maison Carrier in the Hameau Albert Premier, Chamonix
- Summer BBQ at Rocky Pop, Chamonix - Les Houches
- Les Houches Wednesday Market
- Boutros Gully & Mister Pop at La Folie Douce, Chamonix
- Art Exhibition - Tristan Vyskoc at Hameau Albert 1er, Chamonix
- Chamonix Mountain Running Festival