Established in 1821, the Chamonix Guides Company gathers over 150 certified mountain guides and leaders.
They provide mountain guiding service through the Mont Blanc massif and throughout the world. Famous, talented guides have been members of the “Compagnie”. On this day, young talented guides join the organisation each year during the traditional August 15th Guides Festival.
It was originally created as a fund raising event for the Emergency Fund, a financial reserve made to help members of the Compagnie des Guides in financial needs, due to injuries or after the loss of a family member. Each year, hundreds of volunteers, guides, leaders, friends and relatives, kindly give some of their time and energy to organise the Festival (entirely managed by guides from the Chamonix Guides’ Company) and raise funds during festivities. Established in 1924, the Emergency Fund also receives donations. In addition, benefits from sales of Compagnie des Guides’ items and other events contribute to financing the Fund.
During the Festival, guides from the Compagnie des Guides celebrate the relationship that exists between themselves, their clients, and the local population. This unique sense of brotherhood is tied somehow stronger than the rope connecting party members. The program of festivities revolves around friendship through extremely convivial encounters between local business owners, guides and visitors.
More Chamonix Insights...
- Chamonix Dump Alert - 13th December 2019
- First Chamonix snow report of winter 2019/20
- Chamonix Dump Alert - 10th December 2019
- Lots of early-season snow in Chamonix
- Chamonix opens for winter 2019/20
- Chamonix Dump Alert - 8th November 2019
- Chamonix Saturday Market, Chamonix Centre
- Discovery Walk & Mini-Photoshoot, Chamonix
- Art Exhibition at the Salons de l'Albert 1er, Chamonix - Centre
- Nordic Monster Test, Chamonix
- Art Exhibition at La Maison Carrier in the Hameau Albert Premier, Chamonix
- Wine Tasting Lunch at Hameau Albert 1er, Chamonix - Centre