Established in 1821, the Chamonix Guides Company gathers over 150 certified mountain guides and leaders.
They provide mountain guiding service through the Mont Blanc massif and throughout the world. Famous, talented guides have been members of the “Compagnie”.
Today, young talented guides join the organisation each year during the traditional August 15th Guides Festival.
It was originally created as a fund raising event for the Emergency Fund, a financial reserve made to help members of the Compagnie des Guides in financial needs, due to injuries or after the loss of a family member. Each year, hundreds of volunteers, guides, leaders, friends and relatives, kindly give some of their time and energy to organise the Festival (entirely managed by guides from the Chamonix Guides’ Company) and raise funds during festivities. Established in 1924, the Emergency Fund also receives donations. In addition, benefits from sales of Compagnie des Guides’ items and other events contribute to financing the Fund.
During the Festival, guides from the Compagnie des Guides celebrate the relationship that exists between themselves, their clients, and the local population. This unique sense of brotherhood is tied somehow stronger than the rope connecting party members. The program of festivities revolves around friendship through extremely convivial encounters between local business owners, guides and visitors.
- Sat 12th August 2017: 10 am - 11 pm, Lavancher: Cooking of bread (11 am and 4:30 pm); 17h aperitif 19h, 15 €: country dinner, By reservation on 04 50 53 00 88 and evening dancing, village atmosphere.
- Sun 13th August 2017: 15h, Lac des Chavants in Les Houches, free: children's activities with treasure hunt, Initiation into climbing, concert; 8.30 pm, Salle Olca: Movies.
- Mon 14th August 2017:
- Argentière: 10h, Children's climbing discovery, half-day excursions offered. Adults register at the Argentière Guides office 04 50 54 17 94. Expo-sale of crystals and quartz, 17h30 Traditional ceremony, 6.30pm L'Echo du Buet (traditional concert), from 8 pm. Festive concerts, bar and restaurant on site.
- Gaillands, Chamonix - Adults 15 €, Children (4-10 years old) 5 €, New - gourmet village of restaurants of the valley: animations for children. 19h-21h concert from Jeanette Berger, 21h30 Spectacle lights and sounds, 22h30 fireworks, 23h Concert with "what the frog", 1h DJ Philippe Petit.
- Tue 15th August 2017 : 9:30 am Outside the church of Chamonix - Traditional ceremony, 10:45 am Place du Triangle de Chamonix, Stands of exhibitors, animations and refreshments, free climbing.
Parking is not permitted on Gailland's road which is blocked off for the event. The Grépon parking lot is free. Free shuttle buses are available from the parking lot and les Gaillands (round trip).
Additional trains will be available. You can pay on arrival.
Visit the website for more information.