Alpinists attempting to summit Mont Blanc have been advised to rethink their route following a large rockfall in the Couloir du Gouter.
Recent hot dry weather (hmm, dry-ish) has been blamed for the slide which happened late yesterday afternoon.
The mayor of Saint Gervais has asked that anyone planning on taking the Voie Royale route postpone their climb until conditions are more stable. The Voie Royale is the most popular climbing route up to Mont Blanc, departing from the last tram stop at the Nid d'Aigle and carrying on via the Dome de Gouter and the Arrete des Bosses.
The Saint Gervais Compagnie des Guides have cancelled all ascents for today until further notice.
You can get up to date weather information and advice on conditions from the Office de Haute Montagne in the centre of Chamonix, near the Tourist Office and church.
Source : Radio Mont Blanc
- Snow Report
More Chamonix Insights...
- Chamonix Dump Alert - 13th December 2019
- First Chamonix snow report of winter 2019/20
- Chamonix Dump Alert - 10th December 2019
- Lots of early-season snow in Chamonix
- Chamonix opens for winter 2019/20
- Chamonix Dump Alert - 8th November 2019
- Chamonix Saturday Market, Chamonix Centre
- Discovery Walk & Mini-Photoshoot, Chamonix
- Art Exhibition at the Salons de l'Albert 1er, Chamonix - Centre
- Nordic Monster Test, Chamonix
- Art Exhibition at La Maison Carrier in the Hameau Albert Premier, Chamonix
- Wine Tasting Lunch at Hameau Albert 1er, Chamonix - Centre