Access to the Grand Montets area is from the town of Argentiere, about a 15 minute drive past Chamonix (regular buses and trains also serve this route for free with a Carte d'Hôte guest card).
A cable car will take you up to the Lognan plateau at 1,972m and in the winter you can also take the Plan Joran gondola. From Lognan, there is a further cable car that takes you to the Aiguille des Grands Montets at 3300m, where you can see incredible panoramic views of the Mont Blanc range, the Mer de Glace and the Chamonix valley. This is also the departure point for mountaineers heading to the Aiguille Verte.
The ski area is extensive and varied, renowned for its challenging black runs and it’s huge off-piste areas. The summer offers hiking, mountain biking and paragliding. It is also the departure point for climbers and mountaineers for the high peaks in the Argentiere basin.
More Chamonix Insights...
- Dinners Delivered by TCS Review
- Unsettled weather in the Chamonix Valley
- Beautiful wintery Chamonix weather
- Chamonix Dump Alert - 5th February 2020
- Amazing powder skiing in Chamonix
- Chamonix in February 2020 - What weather to expect & what to do