The top of the abandoned lift station that would have connected Chamonix to the Aiguille du Midi, the Gare des Glaciers, is to be dismantled.
The metal and cable structure is all that remains of the arrival point of what would have been the first cable car to reach the Aiguille du Midi, at the top of the Glacier du Rond.
It's been obsolete since around 1950 and although parts of it have been removed over time, what's left is an ugly jumble of steel props and cables, deemed to be an eyesore to mountaineers using this route.
The decision has been made to return the site to nature, and so around €100,000 is being spent to dismantle the remaining structure.
Work to dismantle it started earlier this month and will continue until some time in November.
Find out more about the history of the Aiguille du Midi lift.