The Company of Guides- Saint Gervais have suspended the ascent of Mont Blanc via the Gouter Route as the high temperatures continue to make the infamous Grand Couloir highly dangerous.
Yesterdays fatality in the Grand Couloir on the Gouter ridge was a clear message to budding alpinists about the current conditions in the high mountains. With rapidly melting snow dislodging rocks the Grand Couloir has become a bowling alley of debris and has already claimed several lives this season. The PGHM (Peloton de Gendarmerie de Haute Montagne) have renewed their appeal for high mountain caution during these high temperatures.
With the freezing level staying around 4000m the snow below this altitude is constantly melting and therefore makes crossing the Grand Couloir at night just as dangerous.
If you are considering climbing Mont Blanc by any of its routes it is advisable to consult the OHM Guides office for current information on conditions. The office is located just next to the Tourist office in the Centre of Chamonix.
*Update 20th July 2015* The Gouter Refuge has now been closed for an indefinite period. Some mountaineers are still attempting the route, and the decision has been taken over the weekend by mayor of St Gervais, Jean Marc Peillex, to close the refuge.
NB: Mountaineering is dangerous. The opinions expressed in these articles are very much time and condition specific and the content is not intended in any way to be a substitute for hiring a mountain guide, undergoing professional mountaineering training and/or the individual's own back country decision making.
More Chamonix Insights...
- Chamonix Dump Alert - 13th December 2019
- First Chamonix snow report of winter 2019/20
- Chamonix Dump Alert - 10th December 2019
- Lots of early-season snow in Chamonix
- Chamonix opens for winter 2019/20
- Chamonix Dump Alert - 8th November 2019
- Art Exhibition at the Salons de l'Albert 1er, Chamonix - Centre
- Art Exhibition at La Maison Carrier in the Hameau Albert Premier, Chamonix
- Chamonix Saturday Market, Chamonix Centre
- Nordic Monster Test, Chamonix
- Wine Tasting Lunch at Hameau Albert 1er, Chamonix - Centre
- Discovery Walk & Mini-Photoshoot, Chamonix