After the carnage on the roads over the winter of 2017/18 amid record breaking snow fall, authorities will make it illegal for light vehicles to travel in the French Alps without winter tyres from the start of the 2019/20 season.
The period for mandatory winter tyres has been set from November 1st to March 31st, but the geographical areas and altitudes where the order will apply will be at the discretion of local authorities in the municipalities affected by the new ruling. Which types of winter tyres will be deemed suitable (M+S or 3PMSF), or whether chains or snow socks will suffice, is still unknown.
September 2019 Update: The law was signed on July 1st 2019 but hasn't been enacted yet.
More Chamonix Insights...
- Chamonix in October 2019 - What to see & do
- VIP corporate retreats in Chamonix 2019/20
- What's on in Chamonix September 2019
- What happened at Chamonix's UTMB 2019?
- Follow the 2019 UTMB runners live
- Chamonix brewery at World Beer Awards 2019