A fantastic addition to the Chamonix restaurant scene, this family run establishment opened in June 2015 and serves up "A New Kind of American Food".
Along with close family friends Max and Davy, Susan and her two children are at the helm of the Bighorn Bistro. Their team provide quality home-made style cuisine that is beautifully presented, whilst maintaining a casual, friendly and relaxed atmosphere. They are firmly of the belief that American food, with its wide variety of influences, is ultimately fusion food and therefore their menu reflects that spirit. With this in mind, you'll find many of their 'traditional' American dishes have be re-invigorated by their chef Davy to give them an exciting, and of course delicious, modern twist.
Being based in the heart of Chamonix and so close to the Aiguille du Midi cable car, the restaurant aims to provide sustenance for the mountaineers and skiers in the morning hours (open from 07:00), alongside healthy gourmet lunches of soups, salads and hand crafted sandwiches. However, if you are looking for a tasty burger this is also the place to come.
In the evenings you will find Bighorn Bistro has an incredibly varied and dynamic wine list to accompany its equally varied menu. Maxime, the Sommelier, has put together an amazing selection of wines and is always around in the evening to advise guests, whether you are ordering by the glass or the bottle. Maxime also offers a full wine tasting experience on request.
Uniquely, this restaurant also has a bakery element to it, so if you fancy treating yourself to a coffee and something sweet you'll find a great alternative to the usual French pastries here. Enjoy home-made chocolate chip and peanut butter cookies, pies, NY style cheese cake and a fresh selection of pastries which changes daily. Susan is the face behind these delectable baked goods; an accomplished pastry chef who spent her childhood in Montana and Wyoming. She cultivated her talents over the years both in Seattle, Washington and during her years in Paris, learning to bake her American recipes with French ingredients.
For further details and booking, contact the team directly using the enquiry link on this page or visit the website.
Everything in the restaurant in made in-house...including the burger buns! Open for breakfast at the weekends as well as coffee and pastries that are available to eat in or take away.
During the winter and summer seasons, the restaurant and bakery are open from Tuesday to Friday between 12:00 - 23:00 and on Saturday and Sunday between 10:00 - 23:00.
During interseason (May, October, November) they are open Wednesday to Saturday from 12:00 - 23:00 and on Sunday from 10:00 - 15:00 for brunch.
Who should go...
Anyone! They have made it their mission to create a menu that suits all ages and tastes. I guess you need to go along and try it to find out what suits you!
Located in the heart of Chamonix Sud in the very good company of Munster, South Bar and Monkey Bar, they hope to contribute to the development of Chamonix Sud and help transform the microcosm into a diverse, international and exciting place to go.
On Thursday nights there is an open mic night where anyone can come in to perform, either music, poetry, rap, however folks want to express themselves, they will provide a stage and a microphone! In the bar you will also find a unique selection of craft beers including 3 US beers on tap, a Brooklyn lager, a Brooklyn IPA and a Farmhouse Ale from Kansas City.
- "Found this bistro on last day of 5 day trip. What a pity. The reccomended bloody Mary was amazing to begin with. The pasta pesto with chicken was sensational. My girlfriend had the Seattle salmon sandwich with egg and chips, she loved it. Could not wait to taste coffee before writing this. Waiter was so cool and relaxed. Read this then type it into Google maps and get there." - Trip Advisor
- "A great find for a quick bite. Extremely friendly and helpfull staff, great wifi and above all really delicious (fast) food. The pulled pork and homemade nachos are highly recommended. The fries are homemade and truly delicious. They serve different sorts of beer too. Given the location you get real value for money!" - Trip Advisor
- "We found this bistro via a recommendation from our transportation company and what a great place. It is the only restaurant in Chamonix to serve really good beer. We found 5 craft beers on tap when we visited. But don't come for just that, the food is great. The Bighorn is American owned and has some American favorites but other good choices too. For vegetarians there are good choices, I really liked the sweet potato/quinoa burger. The owner does all the baking including the burger rolls." - Trip Advisor
- "We were excited to try an American restaurant in Chamonix, not only to try a new place but to see if we could have a little taste of home. The restaurant is perfectly decorated, the "staff" (owners) bring the great customer service Americans are known for, and the food is fantastic as well (everything that can be home made, is homemade)" - Trip Advisor
- "We popped in for a coffee. This is a lovely place and the staff were really friendly. The cookies looked amazing and we are really keen to come back for breakfast soon." - Trip Advisor
Mums (and dads!) and Tots every Wednesday from 15:00 to 17:00. Kids and adults treats, happy hour wine (3€!) and beer, play pen and toys for kids. Coming soon: Kids movies on projector screen.
There is a kids menu available all day for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and special requests will always be taken to the kitchen, so need to worry about fussy eaters!
Location: Chamonix - Centre
Cuisine: American | Vegetarian
Vibe / Atmosphere: Laid-back / Chilled
Access: Children welcome | Pedestrian access | Pets welcome
Car-parking: Parking on street
Open Days: Tuesday | Wednesday | Thursday | Friday | Saturday | Sunday
Address: 77 Place Edmond Desailloud | Chamonix - Centre | 74400