Set in the heart of the Aiguilles Rouges, this beautiful lake (which is often snow covered) offers an extraordinary vantage point over the Chamonix Aiguilles, Les Drus and the Verte.
Lac Blanc is a high altitude mountain lake, surrounded by rocks and accessed by a number of different hiking trails. The calm clear waters create the perfect mirror image of Mont Blanc and the snowy peaks on the opposite side of the valley.
Lac Blanc is a particular favourite of ours as it offers so many different perspectives of the Mont Blanc Massif and demonstrates some of the most beautiful alpine colours, changing all year round. At the tail end of summer a few seasons ago we hiked up to Lac Blanc in the late afternoon staying overnight in the refuge. That evening we saw the most amazing sunset over the Mont Blanc massif. We were lucky enough to have a clear day the following morning and were able to watch the sun rise over the range again. It was a truly amazing sight with rich autumnal colours on display against the stunning Mont Blanc backdrop.
The mountain refuge on the edge of the lake was destroyed by an avalanche and re-built in the 1990’s but it has proven to be such a popular stop over with walkers (being on the Tour de Mont Blanc) that it was further extended in 2005 to offer more beds.
- Highest Point: 2352m
More Chamonix Insights...
- Chamonix Dump Alert - 13th December 2019
- First Chamonix snow report of winter 2019/20
- Chamonix Dump Alert - 10th December 2019
- Lots of early-season snow in Chamonix
- Chamonix opens for winter 2019/20
- Chamonix Dump Alert - 8th November 2019
- Art Exhibition at the Salons de l'Albert 1er, Chamonix - Centre
- Art Exhibition at La Maison Carrier in the Hameau Albert Premier, Chamonix
- Chamonix Saturday Market, Chamonix Centre
- Nordic Monster Test, Chamonix
- Wine Tasting Lunch at Hameau Albert 1er, Chamonix - Centre
- Discovery Walk & Mini-Photoshoot, Chamonix