You wake up in a plush, warm bed. As you open the curtains, a breathtaking panorama opens up before your eyes: soft, powdery snow falls on Western Europe's highest peak, the mighty Mont Blanc. After tucking into a Michelin-star-worthy breakfast, a chauffeur whisks you to some of the most legendary ski slopes in the world... this is what the VIP treatment feels like in Chamonix.
Chamonix has been welcoming high-flying visitors since the 18th century when two English aristocrats, William Windham and Richard Pococke set foot on the valley and gave the glacier in Montenvers its name, the "Mer de Glace", in 1741. They opened the way for a flood of international tourists who came to see the imposing mountains and explore its mysteries.
Since then, Chamonix has received many famous visitors who have cemented its reputation as a luxury destination. Scientists like Saussure, Louis Pasteur and Marie Curie; writers like Goethe, Lord Byron, Mary Shelley, Victor Hugo, Alexandre Dumas, George Sand, Charles Dickens and Gustave Flaubert; painters such as Turner, or royals like empress Josephine have all been attracted to the valley's stunning scenery. More recently, Chamonix has hosted celebrities such as Penelope Cruz, Kylie Minogue or Anthony Bourdain.
Caught your attention yet? If you're still unsure, here are 10 reasons why we think Chamonix should be your next luxury ski holiday destination.
More Chamonix Insights...
- Chamonix Dump Alert - 13th December 2019
- First Chamonix snow report of winter 2019/20
- Chamonix Dump Alert - 10th December 2019
- Lots of early-season snow in Chamonix
- Chamonix opens for winter 2019/20
- Chamonix Dump Alert - 8th November 2019
- Art Exhibition at the Salons de l'Albert 1er, Chamonix - Centre
- Art Exhibition at La Maison Carrier in the Hameau Albert Premier, Chamonix
- Chamonix Saturday Market, Chamonix Centre
- Nordic Monster Test, Chamonix
- Wine Tasting Lunch at Hameau Albert 1er, Chamonix - Centre
- Discovery Walk & Mini-Photoshoot, Chamonix