About Chamonix Ski Areas
Chamonix's ski area is, unlike many other ski resorts, made up of five different ski areas, two of which are linked together with the rest separated along the length of the valley. Since the Chamonix valley is low and the ski lifts rise to over 3000m, there are plenty of opportunities to ski 2000 or more metres of vertical descent here.
The pisted ski terrain in Chamonix ranges in altitude from 950m to 3300m, whilst the backcountry skiing offers much more in terms of altitude, vertical descent and of course, difficulty.
If you're coming here piste skiing, there are around 150km of pistes, accessed by a total of 65 ski lifts split between the main ski areas and the low mountain beginner zones. Chamonix has 6 green pistes, 30 blue pistes, 31 red pistes, 10 black pistes and two snowparks, distributed through the five mid-high mountain ski areas which you can read more about below.
You'll find lots of gentle slopes along the bottom of the Chamonix valley with easy access for beginners. These areas are suited to complete beginners or those looking to get their ski legs back before heading up onto the higher mountain.
- La Vormaine (1480m) in Le Tour
- Les Chosalets (1230m) in Argentiere
- La Poya (1120m) in Vallorcine / Le Buet
- Le Savoy (1049-1125m) in the centre of Chamonix by the bottom of the Brevent gondola
- Les Planards (1062-1242m) near the town centre and Montenvers train
- Le Tourchet (1000m) in Les Houches next to the outdoor ice rink
These areas are accessed via the ski lift system and offer a much greater range of pistes for all abilities from confident beginners to expert skiers and snowboarders, as well as being the gateway to the incredible Chamonix backcountry terrain.
- Les Grands Montets (1235-3300m)
- Brevent/Flegere (1030-2525m)
- Le Tour/Vallorcine (1453-2270m)
- L'Aiguille du Midi/La Vallee Blanche (1030-3842m)
- Les Houches (950-1900m)
With a Mont Blanc Unlimited lift pass, you not only get to ski in the Chamonix Valley, but also neighbouring ski areas such as Courmayeur in Italy, the Evasion Mont Blanc ski areas and Verbier. Find out more below about skiing in Courmayeur (Italy) and Les Contamines, Megeve and St Gervais (collectively known as the Evasion Mont Blanc area).
Location: Chamonix / Mont Blanc Valley