This beautiful walk takes you up to the Mer de Glace and the Montenvers station. For those that prefer downhill walks you can take the train up and trek back down, or you can do a complete loop lasting approximately 4.5 hrs.
The Mer de Glace is famous world-wide and is the longest glacier in France. The hike up to it is steep in places but not too tricky for anyone with a reasonable level of fitness.
There are plenty of places to stop and catch your breath en-route, as well as a little refuge where you can stop for a drink and a look at the incredible view.
This hike can be done as one big loop or, thanks to the Montenvers train, you can either do the ascent or the descent and ride the train in the other direction.
More Chamonix Insights...
- Chamonix Dump Alert - 8th November 2019
- Chamonix in October 2019 - What to see & do
- VIP corporate retreats in Chamonix 2019/20
- What's on in Chamonix September 2019
- What happened at Chamonix's UTMB 2019?
- Follow the 2019 UTMB runners live